Tuesday, March 31, 2009

This Is Starting To Look Better

Banana Bread #3
This recipe comes from Donna Hay's new book 'No Time To Cook'
It is one of four recipes on a page and is just written as a paragraph, rather than all the ingredients listed, followed by a small picture.

The Pictures.

We were into this one before I remembered to take a photo


All looked good inside
The Recipe
1 2/3 C plain flour
1 ½ t baking powder
1/3 C caster sugar
1/3 C brown sugar
1 t cinnamon

Combine the following in a jug
1 t vanilla
2 eggs
½ C vegetable oil
3 mashed bananas

Make a well in the centre of the dry ingredients
Add the wet ingredients
Mix to combine
Pour into a greased loaf tin 20cm x 10cm x 10cm
Sprinkle with brown sugar
Bake at 160C for 60 mins or until cooked when tested.


The Comments
As you can see from the first photo we were into this before I remembered to take a photo.
It was cooked in 55 minutes so I took it out of the oven earlier than the 60 suggested.
The brown sugar sprinkled on the top gave a lovely crunch.
The batter was very stiff and I wondered if it could do with a half cup of milk or yoghurt.
This is a delicious banana loaf and if my investigations had to stop here I would be pleased with this recipe. However I'm not sure I could stop myself giving it a little tweak, as per the above point.
It was very tasty with and without butter.
It is quite firm, definitely a loaf or a bread in texture.
It was nice toasted but I didn't think this improved anything.


The Score
7 ½ /10
I'm a bit hesitant to give it an eight as there are still a few more to go.
To be 'good', future banana breads will be referenced to this loaf.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Looks very yummy. Will have to try that recipe - thanks
Rosemary