Thursday, November 20, 2008

Some Things To Look At

An assorted group of photos.

I first saw these tea bags in Perth when I was there in September. Not being a tea drinker I bought one for Mum to try. Being a regular tea drinker, this one is called 'Forte' and Mum found it very pleasant. The tea leaves are in a silk pyramid with a leaf on a cord to remove it from the water. Since I've been home I have seen these in the local homewares store with lots of accessories to match.

This is a Salmon and Asparagus Pastry. A layer of sour cream with dill is in there too. I saw this made on one of the many cooking shows I watched, but in the end it didn't really do it for me. I don't think salmon should be fussed and fiddled with like this. Nice but not exciting.

For years I've wanted to make an Angel Food Cake. I finally found a tin (expensive) and made one (lots of egg whites - 12 to be exact). It looked great, did all the right things. I decided to split it and fill it with the half jar of lemon curd that I had. The sound when I cut it and the texture in the mouth was like a wetex when you first take it out of the packet, before it gets wet. what a disappointment. Nice with some form of wetting agent on it - like custard. So what went wrong? What does a good Angel Food Cake taste like?


Dried beetroot powder. A fun purchase to experiment with. I made fettuccine and served it with cheese and green spinach. Tasted the same as regular pasta, just looked a lot brighter.



No comments: